About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Friday, April 15, 2011

MEDITATIONS ON THE PSALMS - Psalm 19

In my daily Bible reading, I have found such delight in meditating on the daily Psalm and discovering the treasures I sometimes fail to see when I simply read it through, especially if it is familiar to me. And since it is such a treasure, I want to share it with others.

PSALM 19
I have always loved this Psalm, but as I read it the other day, I began to appreciate it in a new way. This Psalm in particular clearly shows the connection between who God is and what our response to Him should be.

~ God's Majesty ~
"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork."
We should never cease to be amazed by what we see in the world around us and in the minute glimpses we get of the universe, because this is one very tangible way in which God shows us what He is like. Even verses 4-6 express a revelation of God; as the sun's "rising is from one end of heaven, and its circuit to the other end; and there is nothing hidden from its heat," so also God's realm encompasses all and nothing is hidden from His sight.

~ God's Righteousness ~
"The law of the Lord is perfect...the testimony of the Lord is sure...the statutes of the Lord are right...the commandment of the Lord is pure...the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether..."
Six declarations are made in this section about the laws and statutes that God has given to His people and the psalmist proclaims that they "convert the soul, make wise the simple, bring rejoicing to the heart, enlighten the eyes," that they are to be desired "more than gold" and that "in keeping them there is great reward." Since we know that God has revealed Himself not only in creation but also through His laws, we should rejoice in that and respond in obedience.

~ My Response ~
"Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from my hidden faults."
The appropriate response to a God of such majesty, holiness and righteousness is a response of humility and a willingness to let Him change my heart. As I recognize and admit that I am sinful and ask Him to cleanse me and reveal my sin, my prayer becomes this: that "the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer."

No comments:

Post a Comment