About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A TEACHABLE HEART

I was reading Proverbs 4 today for the second time and these are my meditations and the message I believe God wanted me to see:

It seems that the main theme is that godly wisdom will keep you from evil if you seek and embrace that wisdom. One important aspect of wisdom - as expressed in this passage - is a teachable spirit and a willingness to learn.

Verse 13 says: "Hold on to instruction...guard it well, for it is your life."
Verse 20 says: "...Pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words."

Many people today - especially youth - seem to think that they can get wise on their own, and they don't want to be taught or instructed by others. But the older I get, the more I realize that I continually need to have a teachable heart/spirit and be willing to learn, otherwise I will do what Proverbs 3:7 warns against -- become wise in my own eyes.

Learning to have a teachable heart is an important goal for all of us as believers, no matter how old we are, what stage we are at in our lives, or what circumstances are facing us...but for me, especially at this time, it is profound.

I will soon be entering a very different culture than my own, learning a new language and finding my place as part of an existing ministry team -- all these things require that I do not come with my own wisdom, but with an attitude of being willing to learn from others.

Lord, please help me to have a willing and teachable spirit and to accept advice and instruction from others, even when I would like to be able to feel confident in my own understanding. Lord Jesus, in my interactions and relationships with others may I reflect your submission to your Father. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment