About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Friday, April 5, 2013

A Precious Gift ... This Precious Life

I watched a film documentary this week called "Precious Life," and it was very thought-provoking. The story focuses on the efforts of an Israeli journalist and an Israeli pediatrician to save the life of a Palestinian woman's son with a rare genetic disease. The film deals with profound religious and racial biases, which I don't claim to understand. I can only imagine how difficult it was for these people - who are divided by such powerful beliefs and barriers - to work together and try to see the other's point of view. But that's not what impacted me most about this film.

What impacted me most was the reality of how precious human life is - and the dichotomy of this reality in the midst of the violent conflicts in Gaza, was almost impossible to describe. Partway through the film, the Palestinian mother doesn't seem to grasp how precious her son's life is, even as she is fighting to get a transplant which will save his life. But by the end, she admits that her son's life "is precious to her."

I can only imagine what it would be like to have to live inside a bubble because your body has no immune system or what it would be like as a mother to have a mask over your face and not be able to kiss your baby's skin for fear of transmitting germs that would kill him. I can only imagine the see-saw of emotions that one would experience - receiving a miraculous transplant and then not knowing if your child's body would accept or reject it.

I have only been seriously ill a handful of times in my life. I have had some injuries, but none that were really life-threatening, and even now, when I get a cold, I recover quickly. It can be so easy to take my health and strength for granted, but I know that this is a gift from God, my Creator. Even the fact that I am able to breathe every moment without struggle or pain is a precious gift. Yet how often do we thank God for these daily miracles of life?

A common response among believers here in Ukraine when you ask, "How are you?" is to say, "Слава Богу!" which means "Praise God!" At first, I thought that was a little simplistic and not really an answer to the question, but I've spent this week meditating on the life-giving resurrection of Jesus Christ, and after watching this film, I feel very differently. I now think "Praise God!" is the most appropriate response to anyone asking how life is for me -- because my life truly comes from God.

I am thankful that I don't live with chronic pain or a physical disability, but if God should allow an event to happen which would take something away from me or change the quality of my life as I know it, I would still have to give Him thanks, because "from Him and through Him and to Him are all things." He holds the universe in His hands and yet He knows and cares for me personally. I am, indeed, "fearfully and wonderfully made."

Joni Eareckson Tada has been a quadriplegic since she was 17 and yet every day she wakes up and asks God for the grace to smile and face another day -- and the joy and faith she demonstrates has been a huge blessing and inspiration to me. She has said that although it will be wonderful to walk again when she gets to heaven, the greatest thing to her will be to see her Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Nick Vujicic was born without arms or legs and although he has had his struggles, there is an abundant joy and vibrant faith that flows from Him and has brought many people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. You will never hear him complain about what He lacks, but only to give thanks for the blessings and opportunities God has given Him.
Job was seriously afflicted - and the trials that tested his faith were permitted by God - but his comment was "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away - blessed be the name of the Lord."

My heart cry today is that none of us would go through another day without giving thanks to God for the precious gift of being alive, of having another day to see His hand at work around us, to learn to know and love Him more, and to serve Him with every breath He gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment