About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Friday, May 17, 2013

The "Perspective" Difference

On May 5th we celebrated Easter here in Ukraine and the theme was continued on the following Sunday as well. Pastor Andrey preached a message based on the text from Luke 24 where Jesus appears to the two men on their way to Emmaus.

I know this story well, but it doesn't matter how many times we read or hear God's Word, there is always something that we can learn from it. It was on my mind the rest of the day, and during this week as well and God gave me a fresh understanding of the truth in His Word and the reality of His work in our lives.

We are blessed to have the full Scriptures - the history of God's redemption plan through the Old Testament, the record of Jesus' life, ministry and death on earth and what took place after the resurrection, and what all of this together means for us as believers. Sometimes, we can read God's Word and because we know the end of an account or the meaning of something Jesus taught, we may think that we have a more complete knowledge of it...but in reality, we have just as much to learn as the people whom Jesus taught and ministered to.

I know I have been guilty of judgment -- there have been moments when I wondered "how could they not believe that Jesus was the promised one, when they knew what the Scriptures had foretold about His birth?" Or when Jesus explains to His disciples what is going to happen and they immediately question Him about what He means -- "how have they walked with Him so long and still don't understand?"

But just like with the men on their way to Emmaus, we may not fully see or understand until God opens our spiritual eyes and gives us insight through His Spirit. And who am I to judge? The unbelief of the disciples even as Jesus lived and walked with them is no different than the times when God speaks to me and I doubt or question what He says!

Lesson #1: Without the work of God's Holy Spirit to open my spiritual eyes and give me understanding, I wouldn't be able to know Him or comprehend His truth and His transforming work in our lives.

Lesson #2: It does matter where my perspective is focused -- many times in Scripture, God tells us to fix our eyes on Him and to look to Him for understanding and guidance. When our perspective is skewed and we are looking at our circumstances, we will not be able to truly see, hear or understand.

I am so thankful that God has opened my eyes and given me spiritual understanding -- His Spirit lives within me and that alone is what makes the difference. It's nothing of me and all of Him, and I pray that He will use me - even in my weaknesses - to help others see who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment