About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Holiday Memories

This summer I had the privilege of taking some personal vacation time and it was refreshing and rejuvenating, both physically and emotionally. I want to share with you some of my memories from that time.

I flew from Kiev to Simferopol, where I spent a couple of days with some missionary friends I had become acquainted with during my time in Kiev. We visited and I enjoyed a couple of excursions around the city. After that, I traveled around and spent some time in Sudak and Yalta, a couple of lovely towns on the shore of the Black Sea.



 

 At the Botanical Gardens of Tauride National University in Simferopol.


Memorial in Simferopol city center - the inscription says:
"Thanks to the Protectors and Liberators of Crimea" (1941-1944)


 Display of some of the most influential people at the Museum of Simferopol's History. Top center: a photo of Catherine the Great, who ruled during the time my Mennonite ancestors lived in Ukraine.


 Left: Khan's Palace in Bakhchisaray
Right: Wearing a traditional outfit of the Crimean Tatars


Part of Chufut-Kale, a cave city fortress built on a plateau 200 m above Bakhchisaray.


The beautiful mountains and scenery of Novyi Svet, one of many lovely towns located along the shore of the Black Sea.


A group of street musicians in Yalta - I enjoyed the entertainment!


If you look closely, you can see me standing by the cross (in a red jacket). Walking on these suspension bridges was one of the biggest highlights of my trip!
What a view I had from that height!!


At the Nikita Botanical Gardens in Yalta. I would have liked to spend more time here, because the serenity of the gardens was very restful.
Below: A beautiful swan in the gardens at Vorontsov Palace.



It was a privilege to spend a day with Antonina, the lady from in whose apartment I rented a room while I studied in Kiev.


The "Swallow's Nest" - this picture stirs my imagination, and the setting causes me to think about the promise that Jesus is preparing a beautiful home for us in heaven.


This was also a highlight - I've never been this close to a great bird of prey before!



After I returned to Krivoy Rog, Esther Lang and her friend Marilyn, who had taught at the Summer English Institute in Dnepropetrovsk, spent a few days with me. We had fun seeing some sights around the city and visiting with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment