About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

ENCOURAGEMENT & GRATITUDE

"Therefore, if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind."
PHILIPPIANS 2:1-2

This past Sunday's message was - and consequently, our small-group Bible study theme was as well - focusing on the aspect of encouraging one another in the Lord. Encouragement is so necessary and yet so often neglected in our daily lives. Just today, one of my colleagues at work was expressing to me how it would make her job so much more enjoyable and rewarding if she occasionally heard a "thank you" or a kind word about what she has been working so hard to accomplish.

The really neat thing about godly encouragement is that one doesn't need to be a "super-Christian" or extremely talented in a certain area - just the fact that we are all part of the family of Christ is reason enough to encourage one another and express our thankfulness for each other.

And when we do, it's fascinating to see how the flower of encouragement blossoms and spreads throughout many other relationships! When we recognize that we are all equally loved and valued and when we desire to build up the unity among our Christian family, just hearing what God has been doing in someone else's life and how they have been encouraged is an encouragement to us!

I had a wonderful experience of this the other day with my dear sister in Christ. She shared with me what God had been speaking to her heart and that in turn encouraged me in the situation I was in. And when we  encourage one another, it doesn't need to be about achievements or what the world would term "worthy of praise" - we should encourage one another simply because we are family.

Encouragement and gratitude go hand-in-hand. You will find that the more you practice encouraging others, the more thankful you are for what we sometimes consider "the small things," as well as the people whom you live and work with. The other day, my employer gave me a huge compliment, which naturally encouraged me, but my response was simply to say "thank you". And then I found that I was so much more eager to encourage others and thank them for their contributions - it's a circle of life-giving nourishment.

As I was meditating on this the other morning, I was inspired to write a poem:

I cannot say I've got it all together;
And I'm not always happy with the weather.
I do not always look ahead with hope -
Sometimes I just seek for the easiest way to cope.

When there seems to be no other way
To deal with the issues, I bow my head to pray.
And it's then God gently helps me to see
The blessings that are all around me.

The Word of God is full of wisdom for all the ages,
And if I heed it, it will work in me miraculous changes;
And give me opportunity to encourage my friends,
To let them know their struggles - and mine - are not the end.

True peace comes from giving my burdens to the Lord,
And a happy smile when I share a few kind words.
If I always see the bad and not the good,
I will not act in the way that I really should.

And if I will, in true humility,
Allow God to make me what I ought to be;
Then those around me will clearly see
That trusting in God brings joy and sets me free.

"May our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who loved us and by His grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word."
2 THESSALONIANS 2:16-17

1 comment:

  1. Just read the blog post Darlene, (this is mom and Tim). Thanks for being you, and for not giving up when times get hard.
    Love you and look forward to many more inspiring posts. xxoo :D

    ReplyDelete