About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Monday, February 13, 2012

THE GIFT OF TODAY

I think all of us are familiar with the phrase: Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, and today is a gift, that's why we call it "the present."

And for all of us, each day literally IS a gift from God. Psalm 139 says that every day of our lives was ordained and written in God's book before we were conceived or took our first breath...I cannot fathom that really; "such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."

Not only that, but James tells us that "every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

I had a moment today when I allowed myself to become so frustrated with the difficult circumstances around me that I lost sight of the gift of today. Then I read a blog from a friend and was reminded of how much God has been changing me and giving me new sight and perspective as I have been learning to recognize and name the blessings all around me every day.

Here's a glimpse of some of the gifts I experienced today and I hope this encourages you too.


  • Sunlight on my face, basking in its warmth
  • Pickle-and-tuna sandwich
  • Computer programs that don't work properly (and yes, this is a gift, because it reminded me of the fact nothing is perfect in this world, and that through the difficulties I can learn and grow)
  • Being able to walk uphill all the way home
  • A complimentary word from my boss
  • Wonderful friends and family that I can wish a "Happy Valentine's Day"
  • Hot bubble bath to soak my tired muscles
  • Glasses that help me to see
  • Uplifting gospel songs ringing in my heart all day long


                In the words of Bill and Gloria Gaither...
We have this moment to hold in our hands,
And to touch, as it slips through our fingers like sand;
Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come,
But we have this moment today.

No comments:

Post a Comment