About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

LORD, I NEED REVIVAL

July 22, 2011 - Sunset on East Loon Lake, ON

This beautiful sunset was a reminder to me of the way that God revives His world as he brings each day to a close and brings a new beginning in the morning.

This weekend I had the privilege of spending some time with friends at their camp on the lake, and it was refreshing to body, mind and spirit in a number of ways. Work has been trying at times this week, and I was exhausted from the heat and the busyness of life, so the time at the lake was a welcome reprieve.

Yet I am reminded, especially as I think on the words of Ephesians 5, that we as believers in Jesus Christ are called to live not by the ways of this world or solely influenced by our circumstances, but in a way that brings glory to God.

"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma...Therefore do not be partakers with them; for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord."

Pastor Kevin spoke on Sunday about how change in our lives and in our relationships begins in our own hearts, not with others. I know this to be true, but we need the transforming power of the Holy Spirit and His grace in order to change this. And I was reminded this week how much I need His revival in my heart so that I live daily setting my "mind on things above, not on earthly things," doing all things "in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father" (Colossians 3) and not living "for myself, but for Him who loved me and gave Himself for me" (Galatians 2)

I wrote the following poem on May 2, 2005 after a Sunday morning sermon, and I think it is a very important and appropriate reminder of the perspective I need to have as I seek to grow in my Christian walk. I hope this is an encouragement to you as well.

"REVIVAL" (By Darlene Joy Koop
The tears begin to flow as I survey my world,
A place of forgotten beauty and hope.
People are searching for fulfilment and purpose,
While their lives fall apart and they cannot cope.

Disaster, death and fear prevail,
There seems to be no escape from the pain.
"Why can't they see?" my heart cries out,
"There is life and peace if they'll call on Your Name."

We need a revival right across this land;
Freedom from corruption and sin.
How long will it take for the truth to break through?
Then I realize it starts from within.

My own life, I know, often seems darkened
And from struggles I long to be freed.
But when I listen, God speaks to my heart;
For revival to come, it must start with me.

I need to choose daily to serve my God
And allow His work in my life.
I must seek, above all, His ways and His will
And let Him take away the sorrow and strife.

I cannot change the world in which I live,
But I have an opportunity each day
To let Christ's love shine through me -
"Lord, send a revival," I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment