About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Monday, March 25, 2013

HOSANNA - Palm Sunday Meditation

This picture is my creative expression of what we celebrate on Palm Sunday, and the meaning of the word "Hosanna."


Today is Palm Sunday. Here in Ukraine, the Protestant churches will celebrate a month later, but I have decided to take time this week to meditate on the events we celebrate at Easter - which are the foundation of my Christian faith.

The word "Hosanna" originally was a cry for help, for salvation -- "Save us!"
In the context of the New Testament, it is generally used as an expression of praise and exultation - "Salvation has come," which is probably the intended meaning of Matthew 21:9 when the crowd shouts, "Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!"

I chose John 1:29 as the focal point of my Palm Sunday poster, because I believe this is the reason to shout and sing "Hosanna!" Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God, the Savior of the world, and when we cry "Hosanna," we are acknowledging that He is who He said He is.

I wonder if the people in Jerusalem really understood the significance of what they shouted as they waved their palm branches and rejoiced at Jesus' triumphal entrance. Perhaps some of them did, but not all believed that Jesus was the Messiah, the One sent from God to be the salvation of Israel.

Jesus' entrance into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday was a fulfillment of prophecy and an act of voluntary and complete obedience to His Father's will and it was also a demonstration of His love. It was the annunciation of Jesus' purpose on earth ... to be the Lamb of God, the Savior who takes away the sins of the world.

This Palm Sunday I witnessed a miracle -- following the pastor's sermon on John 3 and Jesus' declaration that a person must be born again to see the kingdom of God, one of the men in the congregation prayed to receive salvation and was spiritually born again, praise God!

HOSANNA in the highest, salvation has come! HOSANNA, to the Son of David, the Messiah, our Savior! BLESSED IS HE who comes IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment