About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Like The Wind

When God speaks to my heart, I often need to write down my thoughts -- and this blog has become a good channel for me to do that.

The devotional today from Joni & Friends really gave me some food for thought on the theme of wind.
Wind is not one of my favourite weather features. When I'm outside in the wind, it often makes my face feel cold and it messes up my hair, and when it's blowing really strong the sound of howling wind often causes me to feel cold.

As I'm writing this, I am thinking about how often I display a negative attitude because I'm focused on the negative (or less-than-positive) aspects and this reminds me of a story I read in my childhood...

...about a little acorn sprout that wanted to grow into a big strong oak tree. But this little acorn sprout complained about and "hated" every trial that came its way -- the squirrel, the wind, the rain -- and every time, someone else came along and told him that God allowed the trial for a purpose and that he needed to be thankful for it. And one day, when he was a big strong oak tree, he realized this truth.

I usually try not to complain about weather, and instead to find something positive to comment on, but in reading this devotional today I realized that I rarely ever look for the positives of wind.
However, God's Word often compares wind to the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives and looking at it from that perspective changes the focus.

I want to share just a brief excerpt with you:
Little wonder Jesus likened the wind to the Spirit. Wind moves. So does the Spirit. It - or I should say, He - never stays still. He is always moving and making His presence known. And if this Holy One lives at the center of our lives, we will see, feel, and at times, almost smell and hear the effects. The Spirit is constantly doing something in us. Just as we can see the effects of the wind in the trees (although we cannot see it), others will observe and appreciate the effects of the Spirit in our lives.

As I was meditating on this today, I thought about changes that come with wind - the transitions between fall and winter, winter and spring, and the havoc that is caused by a windstorm. There's something within me that doesn't always welcome change and challenge and difficulty, and I can become so focused on myself and what I think I need that I miss the blessings and the working of God in those changes.

It's good to live in the moment, but sometimes we need to be looking forward to what may not be visible to us right now -- because just like the wind, we can't always see what God is doing but knowing that His Spirit is working in us is always something to be thankful for, and there will be blessed evidences of His touch in our lives.

I want to share Joni's final thoughts in closing:
Step outside on a breezy March morning and notice that the wind marks its movement by what it touches. In its wake it leaves freshness and cleansing. As you allow the Spirit to touch your life, others will mark His presence and breathe deeply of His fragrance. They will give thanks to God... and thanks to you.

I sense your stirrings in my life, Lord. Move powerfully in me. Blow a fresh breeze through my soul and sweep away anything that displeases You. May I be different for it, and may others see and notice Your touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment