About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Friday, March 29, 2013

SACRIFICE - Good Friday Meditation


1 John 4:10 declares that God - because of His love for us - sent Jesus to be the "atoning sacrifice" or "propitiation" for our sins. It's incredibly humbling to realize once again that Jesus' purpose in coming to earth was to die for you and me.

Philippians 2:8 says that Jesus Christ became obedient to death when He went to the cross for us. I believe this means that by acting in obedience to the will of His Father, He was compelled to die on the cross. He knew that this was the only way to reconcile sinful man to God, and though - in His humanity - He didn't want the torture and pain, He submitted Himself to the suffering for our sake.


Surely He has borne our griefs a
nd carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken, s
mitten by God, and afflicted.
But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
A
nd by His stripes we are healed.
 
All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned, every one, to his own way;
And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.


Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief.
When You make His soul an offering for sin,
He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days,
And the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.
11 
He shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.
By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
For He shall bear their iniquities.

~ Isaiah 53:4-6, 10-11 ~

2 Corinthians 5:21 says that "God made Him [Jesus] who had no sin to be sin for us, that in Him we might become the righteousness of God."

It is sobering and saddening to remember on this day that it was because of my sin that Jesus had to go to the cross. But this is GOOD Friday, and there is reason to rejoice. Why? Because of Jesus' perfect sacrifice, we have forgiveness and reconciliation with God, despite our sinful choices - marvelous grace!

Thank You, Jesus, for taking the punishment for my sin, for bearing the suffering and pain that I deserved. Thank You for being willing to be my sacrifice and for reminding me again of Your great love for me.

Once again I look upon the cross where You died;
I'm humbled by Your mercy and I'm broken inside;
Once again I thank You, once again I pour out my life.
(Because You poured Yours out for me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment