About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Friday, June 28, 2013

In The Secret, Quiet Place...

There's a beautiful worship song that goes like this:
In the secret, in the quiet place,
In the stillness You are there.
In the secret, in the quiet hour I wait,
Only for You, 'cause I want to know You more.
I want to know You, I want to hear Your voice,
I want to know You more.
I want to touch You, I want to see Your face,
I want to know You more.

Over the past week, I have rediscovered the gift of stillness and quietness, and just "being" in the presence of God. Worshipping God in quietness, without words, is beautiful and renewing for the spirit. And sometimes, might I dare say, it is easier to recognize God's presence and see His many blessings when our goal is just to "be" with Him.

Last week I was out in the country at a summer camp facility for the kids of #9 orphanage along with several members of our team, and I woke earlier than the rest of them. It was a beautiful morning and I took my Bible out to the porch and sat there reading for a little while. Every now and then, I would stop and just listen to the birds singing or the breeze blowing through the trees. A couple of the teenagers walked by and greeted me, and asked me what I was doing. I didn't have a response, because I was just "being". I was enjoying the stillness and the presence of God as He ministered to my spirit.

I need to do this more often - because I believe that it is in the quiet that we get to know God in a way we can't when we are busy with other activities. Don't misunderstand me - God reveals Himself to us all the time in different ways, and there are places and times for all kinds of worship, including voicing praise and prayer requests, singing, or whatever else is on our hearts. But He calls us also to come away and be alone with Him like Jesus did when He found a solitary place to commune with His Father.

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted in the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." ~ Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment