About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Friday, December 3, 2010

A PRAYER

I was reading Nehemiah chapter 1 on Wednesday morning for my devotional, and the way that Nehemiah prayed struck me in a profound way. I believe that the following characteristics of his prayer to the LORD are an example of how we ought to pray:
      - He acknowledges who God is and what His character is like.
      - He confesses his sins and the sins of his people.
      - He declares his trust in God's promises
      - He prays with a humble attitude.

So as I prepared for the day, I took the time to write out the prayer that was on my heart...

Lord God of heaven, my great and awesome and faithful God, You who hold the entire universe in Your hand, You know everything that concerns your servant. Please let your ear be attentive to my cry and meet me in my place of need.

I have sinned, Lord - I have acted in selfishness and pride, thinking that I could make a difference at work if I just try harder and put more of my own effort into it. I took upon myself a burden too heavy for me to bear alone and I forgot that I can only prosper if I first surrender it all to You, Lord.

In Your mercy, O God, because You have promised that You will not place us in a situation where You will not give us the strength and grace to bear up under the pressure, I pray that You would show Yourself faithful to me again. Not because I deserve it, but because I long to trust You more.

Lord, You know what awaits me this day and in the coming days. I confess that I am worried about many things, including whether or not I will be able to meet all the expectations of me, and right now I surrender that worry to you.

O Lord God, my desire is to honor You each day and in all that I do to reflect the kind of trust You desire to see in Your humble servant. Please remind me daily, Lord, that You are with me and that You are in control. May I serve with joy, knowing that it is not my own strength, but Yours that enables me and carries me through.

In the precious and holy name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, my Saviour, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment