About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Monday, December 2, 2013

ADVENT MEDITATIONS - Part 1

I love to anticipate special events, so I get excited about Advent! But I want it to be more than just the four weeks leading up to Christmas - I want to really set aside this time to draw near to the heart of God so that the celebration of this wonderful event becomes even more meaningful.

In his Advent devotional book "Good News of Great Joy" John Piper writes,
This is what Jesus prays for us this Christmas: "Father, show them My glory and give them the very delight in Me that You have in Me." Oh, may we see Christ with the eyes of God and savour Christ with the heart of God. That is the essence of heaven. That is the gift Christ came to purchase for sinners at the cost of His death in our place.

So I have made a plan that I will be following for the next 24 days - and I want to share it with you because I'm so excited about it and also so that it will encourage you as you prepare for Christmas!

Based on the daily devotional reading from "Good News of Great Joy" I will choose one or more Scripture verses to memorize in Russian. As I memorize the Scriptures, I will also be creating a paper snowflake, which I will use to decorate the wall in my living room along with the verses as a visual reminder of what Advent - and Christmas - means to me.

DEC. 1 - PREPARATION (Подготовление)
Today's meditation was about spiritual preparation - to realize anew how much I am in need of a Saviour and to be spiritually prepared for the work God wants to do in my heart.

 I chose to memorize Malachi 3:1-2 -- "Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before Me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to His temple, and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight; behold he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of His coming, and who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap."

To be really prepared for Christ's coming, I must have an accurate view of who He is. Like a refiner's fire, He is the One who can cleanse my heart and soul, ready to welcome Him - my Lord.

DEC. 2 - MAGNIFICENCE (Великолепие)
Today's meditation focused on the attitude of humility of Mary when she came face to face with the awesomeness of God. I must have an attitude of both humility and gratitude, recognizing that I am not worthy of God's grace, but rejoicing in the fact that He chose to reveal Himself to me in such an incredible way.

I chose to memorize Psalm 34:2-3 (33:3-4 in the Russian Bible) -- "My soul shall make its boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear of it and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me and let us exalt His name together."

When I have the proper perspective of who I am and who God is, then I can truly exalt and praise Him for all that He has done in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment