About Me

My photo
I am a disciple of Christ and I desire to love and serve God in everything. I have many passions and I desire to share my adventures, joys and struggles to encourage others in their faith.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

ADVENT MEDITATIONS - Part 2

DEC. 3 - VISITATION (Посещение)
Today's meditation was about the fulfillment of a hope. Jesus' birth had been prophesied hundreds of years earlier and it was an event that everyone was eagerly anticipating, but it was not only different than what they had expected - it was more.

I chose John 1:14-18 -- "The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testified about Him and he cried out, saying, "This is the One I spoke about when I said, 'He who comes after me has surpassed me, because He was before me.'" From Him we have all received one grace after another. The law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and who is in close relationship with the Father, has made Him known."

I couldn't just choose one or two verses, because they didn't give the complete picture. Verse 14 talks about God coming to "visit" us in the person of Jesus Christ, but verses 15 to 18 explain who He is and what He came to do. And so I ask myself, as I meditate on Christ this season, what do I anticipate Him doing in my life? How do I see Him? And how do I live out the realization that He indeed dwells with me and shows me who God is?

DEC. 4 - GREATNESS (Величие)
Today's meditation contemplated God's greatness in light of how insignificant we often feel. What we are ultimately celebrating at Christmas is the advent of God's redemption plan - our Great Creator God making Himself like His creation in order to reconcile them to Himself. And God chooses to use the lowly and unexpected to accomplish His plan so that His greatness is magnified.

I chose Isaiah 57:15 -- For thus says the high and lofty One, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble and to revive the heart of the contrite."  And also Micah 5:2, 4 -- "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me One who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from old, from ancient times." He will stand and shepherd His flock in the strength of the Lord, in the majesty of the name of the Lord His God. And they will live securely, for then His greatness will reach to the ends of the earth.

God often chooses to reveal Himself through weakness and lowliness so that we can better understand how great and awesome He is -- the focus is always Him, and never us. But we shouldn't feel insignificant either, because the fact that He chooses to use us is a demonstration of His great love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment